Monday, November 12, 2007

a first for me


So I have never really been into books.

I mean, I like books ok, I've read hundreds of them,
either because they struck me as interesting or because it was required of me.
But I just usually don't get really excited about a new book or go in bookstores just to look
and I have been known to feign illness when I've discovered my parents' car headed to the mega half price books store on occasion.

It's just that if I'm going to read a book, I want it to be REALLY good. I don't want to get to the end of a book and think, well that was a waste of time. I want the story to suck me in so I just have to skip dinner or The Office and finish reading it.

Also, I have an adverse reaction to book readers because a lot of times people will call themselves intellectuals and talk about how they have read every book in the jefferson library and they think such deep thoughts and feel as though they are superior to me, that they can think of me as a lesser being because I have not read the encyclopedia brittanica front to back. I mean, these people don't know me or how much I read, they just go around telling everyone they're smart.
But anyway, I have a small rebellion in me on the subect that I'm working on, but that is another post for another time.

A few times this year I have found myself, book in hand, biting off my nails in suspense and not answering phone calls becuase I'm in the middle of a chapter, or volunteering bookstores as a meeting place (albeit they must have coffee as well). And yesterday I I bought a book at Borders, and I was already finished with it today. I stayed up really late last night reading it.
This is not me! What is going on??


I think I've found a new sort of love for books.

Don't tell my mom ;)

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

what was this book that you read so quickly? maybe i should look into it.