Monday, February 25, 2008

I want to stay up late, wear pink shoes, sing loud with the radio...

lately I've been feeling
the weight of the world,
all it's sadness and tragedies.
It's easy to give in to
apathy or cynicism and
just give up on the whole thing.

But i got a book called 
Cold Tangerines.
i don't know if you've heard of it.
but whether you have or haven't,
you need to read it!
it's about being alive in the midst
of a messy world and
enjoying the small things in life,
the tiny joys God gives us.
it is so inspiring! 


here's an excert:
"I know the world is several versions of mad right now. Pessimism and Grimness seem like the only responsible choices. I wake up at night and worry about pesticides, international politics, disease. I worry about the world we're creating for our children. The only option, as I see it, is a delicate weaving of action and celebration, of intention and expectation. Let's act, read, protest, protect, picket, learn, advocate for, fight against, but let's be careful that in the midst of all that accomplishing and organizing, we don't bulldoze over a world thats teeming with beauty and hope and redemption all around us in the meantime. Before the wars are over, before the cures are found, before the wrongs are righted, Today, humble today presents itself to us with all the ceremony and bling of a glittering diamond ring: wear me it says. Wear me out, love me, dive into me, discover me, it pleads with us.
The world is alive, blinking and clicking, winking at us slyly, inviting us to get up and dance to the music that's been playing since the beginning of time, if you bend all the way down and put your ear to the ground to listen for it". 

2 comments:

Nancy said...

Wow. This is a BEAUTIFUL post. Thank you for it.

Unknown said...

i know her! Well, she was a speaker at a conference i went to a few weeks ago. She was hilarious, and a good speaker--and i wanted to get her book because it looked so pretty.

i'm happy i got to see you on sunday :)